Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Summer Fresh Challenge: Mushroom Marsala


I got into this blogging thing merely to express myself and share my love of food with the world. But sometimes being a food blogger has its perks. You get invited to cool events and sometimes get to test out products. Recently, Summer Fresh sent me a boat load of their new fresh sauces along with an IKEA wok as a thank you. The goal is to develop a recipe for each of the five sauces as a friendly competition with 15 other food bloggers in ON, QC and here in Atlantic Canada.  The winning recipe will then be featured on Food Bloggers of Canada. With stiff competition like my girl Kelly here at home, the Summer Fresh folks are in for a treat.

Up first, the mushroom marsala, the sauce I was the most excited about. I love me some mushrooms and this sauce delivers. Slightly earthy with a touch of wine and loads of real mushrooms throughout. It could easily be tossed with some pasta or simmered with some chicken. However, I would most certainly add some cream to the sauce to enhance it's richness and provide a creamier texture. But this mushroom lover knew just what to do...

Mushroom Pizza with Caramelized Onions, Panchetta, Gruyere, and Arugula



14" pizza crust (I'd give you my recipe but then Brent would have to kill me!)
Summer Fresh Mushroom Marsala sauce
1 tbsp butter
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
48 g (8 slices) panchetta
1 cup gruyere, grated
handful arugula
truffle oil (optional)

Preheat oven to 425.  Melt the butter in a skillet and caramelize those onions. This process generally takes some time but I like to speed things up by adding a touch of brown sugar and then deglazing the pan with some water. I know it isn't authentic caramelized onions but hell, it's a touch sweeter and saves some time when you're about to eat your arm off. When the onions are all golden brown and your dough has risen, sprinkle a pizza pan with cornmeal. To assemble the pizza, spread the mushroom marsala sauce over the crust and top with the mushrooms, onions, gruyere, and panchetta. Pop it in the oven and bake til the crust is golden brown, about 15 min. Serve with a hanful of arugula and a drizzle of truffle oil.

Sweet, salty, peppery, savoury, earthy. That right there was some beautiful pizza. Now on to the next sauce...