Tuesday, August 14, 2012

cakey bacon

First, watch this video. Trust me. Just do it. It'll be one of the best things you've ever done.


Amazing right?! Big thanks to Coastal at Night (Graeme I'm assuming?) for finding this sucker and sharing via the twitter. And what could I do in turn but share with the rest of my bacon loving com padres. One such friend, a chef at work, was thrilled. And, since he was about to embark on some travelling in Europe, what a better way to send him off than Cakey Bacon. Yeah, that's right. It happened.

Inspired by this hilarious video, I got out Big Red and devised a cake of bacon awesomeness. First, I made some candied bacon by tossing bacon with brown sugar and pepper and baking til crispy. This bacon, however, turned out on the chewy side so candied bacon, we shall meet again.


Next up, the cake. To compliment the bacon, I decided on a Brown Butter Cake. I knew its nutty buttery flavor would be perfect. If you have yet to experience the magic that is brown butter, I suggest you get on it. It's like butter's delicious cousin. I know right? As if butter could get any better! You can find the recipe here thanks to Food & Wine.


Once the cake was cool, I whipped up some Maple Bacon Frosting using butter, bacon fat, maple syrup, vanilla, and icing sugar. Best.Frosting.Evah. Hold on to that bacon grease people. Stuff is pure gold. So it is with great pleasure that I introduce to you:

Cakey Bacon!

No cakey bacon would be complete without bacon roses.
No surprise, this cake was incredible. Salty and sweet and buttery and so very bacony. While this cake is not something you could indulge in often, it was worth every single bite and most certainly something everyone should experience at least once. You may even see it make a special guest appearance at The Record Shop.

So listen to the Meat Wizard. Embrace the salty lil' pig strip. It's filthy tasty!